My current level is 83 and I have been within the Throne of Tides thrice. Each one yielding a new something…
Trip 1: I was under the impression that this may have been the shortest instance in existence given that we only fought the Shaman & the Neptulon event. It turned out that they had lost a couple people in the group and had already defeated the first two bosses. I was a noob.
Trip 2: Started the full instance but no quests were involved. I saw…for the first time in a VERY LONG TIME…crowd control! I also got to experience the cut scene and all the boss fights!
Trip 3: I just finished EVERY single quest in Vashj’ir (I would note that is the FIRST and ONLY zone I have ever done that in!) and comlpeted the Loremaster achivement for the zone as well as [20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea] and [Visions of Vashj’ir Past]…when I entered this instance this time, there were quests to be had and a superior level of understanding to what is actually going on in this instance and I found it absolutely amazing.
Also, every time I have been in this instance, I have seen something new drop. Something paladin that makes my heart swoon; but I also know the healing mechanics and so I thought I would write it all up and share it!
I won’t talk about spec, I am using the same spec that I have already covered recently in build analysis, but I have dumped my 81, 82, and 83 points into finishing off Crusade (in Ret) and maxing 2/2 in Eternal Glory (in Prot).
Healing things to note:
- It is important to keep your beacon up on the tank at all times. Remember that with Protector of the Innocent, you know longer particularly benefit from putting it on yourself. Something to note about Beacon, with the latest hotfixes, you can no longer get HoPo from Tower of Radiance by using Holy Light on your Beacon, it will only benefit and grant charges from Divine Light of Flash of Light (I’m sure I will talk about that in depth at some point).
- Deep Corruptors…the Faceless ones…they have an ability that will pick the group up and then let them fall. At that point they proceed to do a stomp-like AOE sending damage across the party. This is a good pull to make sure you have HoPo charges for Light of Dawn. You can escape further damage by exiting the area of melee and healing everyone back up. Remember as a holy paladin, you can benefit by saving yourself to heal last because of Protector of the Innocent.
- Watch for people standing in the bad!
- During the shaman fight, there is a period in transition between phase 1 and 2 where a party member will be taken over. They are expected to take damage as the party members must attack them but don’t fret, they will pop back up somewhere near full health after their stint as an octopus puppet is over.
- The Neputlon event is very easy to heal, the damage isn’t massive that randomly throwing out Flash of Light across the party will keep everyone exactly where they need to be. There may be some line of sight issues, I’m not entirely sure but its a round room so be sure to place appropriately if you want to Light of Dawn, but that isn’t too necessary given the small increments of damage that occur. In the ending phase, there is a constant damage AOE but everyone has massive health pools and you will have massive through put!
- On the way to the Neptulon event there is a small gauntlet of these little puple elemental voidwalker things. It is very easy to grab healing aggro and for a while I didn’t realize it was necessary to run through, but it can be a little difficult to heal if the tank isn’t doing a heads up job and noting where all the mobs are targeting. I lost a clothie here once. The damage can be minimal, moderate, or extreme. Be sure to note the level of expertise in your tank (not the stat…the smarts) and be prepared! Based on that Light of Dawn, Holy Shock, and Flash of Light are strong favorites for fast healing if the adds get out of control.
Holy Paladin Gear:
Prime/Optimal (Normal iLvl 308):
- Abalone Plate Armor (from Neptulon): +319 Stamina +212 Intellect +142 Spirit +142 Mastery
- Harp Shell Pauldrons (from Ulthok): +237 Stamina +158 Intellect +105 Spirit +105 Haste
- Periwinkle Cloak (from Lady Naz’jar): +177 Stamina +118 Intellect +79 Haste +79 Mastery
- Pipefish Cord (from Neptulon): +177 Stamina +118 Intellect +65 Crit +89 Mastery
- Anthia’s Ring (from the Mindbender): +177 Stamina +118 Intellect +65 Hit +89 Mastery
- Aurelian Mitre (from Lady Naz’jar): Cloth +319 Stamina +212 Intellect +124 Spirit +152 Mastery
- Bioluminescent Lamp (from Neptulon): Off-Hand +177 Stamina+118 Intellect +85 Spirit +69 Crit
- Chromis Chestpiece (from Ulthok): Mail +319 Stamina +212 Intellect +142 Spirit +142 Mastery
- Decapod Slippers (from the Mindbender): Leather +237 Stamina+158 Intellect +80 Spirit +120 Crit
- Sea Star (Trinket from Neptulon): +200 Spirit with Spell Power use
Remember that there is a plate specialization that increases highest stat (Intellect) by 5% and the inclusion of the sub-optimal list in in no means promoting their use nor am I telling you to get it, just putting it out there for the sake of information!
Also, for those of you, like myself, who may be questing as Ret, there are some amazing drops that come from here. I have had the fortune of rolling need off-spec against other people who also want off-spec ((PS. Warrior and Paladin Tanks….you don’t NEED that two handed weapon…you has shield like I does!)).
- Anomuran Helm (from the Mindbender): +212 Strength +319 Stamina +142 Crit +142 Mastery
- Conch of the Thundering Waves (Relic from the Mindbender): +67 Strength +100 Stamina 1 Socket +46 Hit +42 Crit
- Eagle Ray Cloak (from Ulthok): +118 Strength +177 Stamina +79 Haste +79 Mastery
- Might of the Ocean (trinket from Neptulon): +200 Hit with STR use
- Nautilus Ring (from Neptulon): +118 Agility +177 Stamina +79 Crit +79 Haster
- Whitefin Axe (from Neptulon): +212 Strength +319 Stamina +152 Crit +124 Haste
Overall, the instance is enjoyable and has some interesting mechanics as a whole. The quests are readily available and do not require you to have quested in the zone of Vashj’ir. At this moment, my character sheet reports that my iLvl (in either set?) is 299. Upon understanding the instance, I haven’t lost anyone since but my healing gloves are on and Holy Radiance is mine!
Be on the look-out for more healadin goodness and remember that you must discover all instance entrances before you can be put into them!